We create an environment
where students can freely immerse themselves
in what they are passionate about.
True learning should make people free
from different types of restraints
– we update the education “norm.”
Features in Figures
Students will continuously conduct science research of their own interests and express themselves to the world through their research.
Mentoring by science professionals
Mentors will guide students’ research projects and maximize their learning experiences.
M.S. in Applied Physics from Harvard University
B.S. in Physics from SUNY Stony Brook
His main expertise in research is molecular biology and oncology.
Ph.D. in Mathematics and Information Science from Tokyo Metropolitan University
M.S. in Mathematics from University of Turin
PhD at Sorbonne, Paris VI
Masters at University of Cambridge in mathematics
B.S. at University of Cambridge in mathematics
PhD in Veterinary Medicine (Tokyo Uni)
Cand.Sci. in Biochemistry
MS in Biology and Biology Teaching
Interested in brain, behavior, intelligence, and evolution
Ph.D in Neuroscience from University of Western Australia
Ph.D in Physics from Harvard University
Ph.D. in Neuroscience from University of Tübingen
Ph.D. in Molecular Cell Biology from Innsbruck Medical University
Ph.D. in Linguistics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Practical workshops on various topics
We deliver workshops in order to:
- equip students with essential research skills
- learn valuable scientific knowledge
- to widen their perspectives and stimulate curiosity.
Networking with experts and peers
We do not “lock” students into a box called school. We provide a global bridge from students to other top academics, experts and peers for cooperation and collaboration in various fields.
Manai is a community of people from various countries, backgrounds and specialities – which truly expands students’ horizon.
Rolling Admission System
We will continue to accept applications and evaluate students all-year round.
Three-month Period of Trial
All the applicants will participate in the trial period of three months while enrolled in another institute (middle/high school). They will run their own research and conduct a research presentation at the end of the Trial Period. You can also use Manai facilities freely during this trial period.
Students Decide When to Enroll
If admitted through the assessment, the student will officially enroll. *Possible to postpone enrollment up to a year after being accepted.
Examination Fee & Tuition are covered by a scholarship
All costs related to students’ research in Manai will be covered by our supporters during the three-month period of trial and after enrollment.
- You should currently be enrolled in the third year of junior high school or first year of high school.
(Please consult individually for students other than the ages listed.)
- Able to commute to Manai Tokyo Base, (Ichigaya, Tokyo).
- Can communicate in English.
- Passion to express themselves through science.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much English skill is required?
- The common language is English at Manai Institute. The condition is to be able to attend workshops and communicate with Mentors in English. At the end of the Trial Period, students will present the research results in English.
- What range is the target grade?
- You should currently be enrolled in the third year of junior high school or first year of high school.(Please consult individually for students other than the grades listed.)
- I’m in the second grade of high school, but am I eligible to apply?
- Yes. You can apply and if you are admitted through the Trial, you will be able to attend Manai until the time you graduate from high school.(Please consult individually)
- Can I enroll from outside Kanto area and overseas?
- We are currently mainly targeting those who reside within the school range. (Please consult individually)
- What will I do during the Trial Period?
- You will conduct your own research individually. Since the Trial Period is limited, it is not mandatory to complete the research. You can present your research from your current status. You will also be able to attend any workshops and lectures that are available at Manai.
- Can I use everything at the Manai Institute during the Trial Period?
- Yes. Along with everything at the Manai Institute, you can also use partnered Institutes’ equipments as well. For more details, please contact your Manai Mentor.
- Do I have to enroll right after the Trial Period?
- You can suspend your enrollment up to a year after being accepted.
- Will some people not pass the Trial Period and not be able to enroll?
- Yes. Since you will not be officially enrolled in Manai, you cannot continue taking the subsequent Programs at Manai.
Mentoring & Curriculum
- Are there classes like a usual school?
- There are no classes where the teacher gathers students in one place in the same place and teaches students in a one-way form. We will set up a wide range of workshops, such as ones that are related to students’ research projects and stimulate students’ curiosity.
- What kind of person will be my Mentor?
- Mentors will be matched based on the academic field etc. and the interest of the student. In addition, we may find and match external Mentors.
- Can I also ask about college or finding employment to Mentors?
- Mentors will consult about the course to be followed and the introduction to the laboratory according to interests and research content. You can consult broadly including worries and troubles with your Mentor.
- When will I graduate?
- Generally, it is a three-year Program. If you are enrolled transferring from another school during the academic year, please individually consult the graduation time. However, there is no graduation at Manai – all Mentors and Staff are always available to consult with you about your career.
- Are graduation qualifications granted?
- You can get a high school qualification by taking a curriculum at a partner school. Graduation qualifications are not limited to partner schools and can be selected according to your career.
“Talent is something the society breeds and using those talents for the society is how to give back”
is the shared understanding who will act as a “Senpai” and support the students.
Each student who pass the assessment period and enroll to Manai will be assigned their own “Senpai.”
“Senpai,” as experienced member of the society, will help lead the students in their activities.
Specific roles of “Senpai” are:
- Building relationship with the student
- Financial support for the student’s learning
- Providing access to their network
“Senpai” will be able to give back to the society through the talented Manai student - expanding their communities and field through the student.
We believe that for the students during their impressionable times being able to receive support and walk through this time together, will be extremely memorable and impactful.